today I want to share with you my favourite tutorial yet: how to draft a pattern for basic skirt block!
Through this tutorial, you will learn how to make an essential skirt pattern based on YOUR measures; a pattern block that you will be able to later transform into endless new designs; a pattern that will fit YOU flawlessly.
It will take you about 10-20 minutes to do your first pattern using this tutorial. I can't promise it will be easy, but I can promise it will be worth it!
Click to watch a video tutorial, and scroll below for written instructions + step by step photos!
SKIRT BLOCK PATTERN TUTORIAL
First, start by taking your measures. You will need to measure:
1. Find the waistline and measure waist circumference. Make sure not to squeeze the tape too tight!
2. Find the widest hip point and measure hip circumference.
3. Measure distance from the lowest hip point to the waistline. This distance is usually about 19-20 centimeter, but may vary.
4. Measure skirt length, starting from the waistline.
Once you have your measures taken, it's time to move to drawing paper and start our pattern. Grab a big piece of thicker paper, measuring tape, long straight ruler, hip ruler (preferred, but optional) and let's get to work!
1. Start by making a net. Divide hip measurement by 2. Measure this length at the bottom of the paper and draw a line (black line in photo below).
2. From both sides of the line, measure skirt length up and draw a line. Connect lines at the top.
3. Divide this net in 2 pieces, by drawing a vertical line in the middle. One side will be half of your front, other side - half of your back. Right side will be middle of the front piece; left side - middle of the back.
4. Now let's make front dart. Front dart starts 9cm from the top of the front middle. Width of front dart is 2cm (see markings at the top of the net).
From the middle of these points, mark 8cm down.
Connect these points, to create a front dart.
5. Now measure ¼ of your waistline. From the top of the front middle, measure ¼ of the waistline (excluding the front dart) and mark it on the top net line.
6. For Back dart, measure 9cm from the top of the middle back. Width of back dart is 4cm (see markings on top left).
From the middle of these points, mark 16cm down. Connect these points, to create a beautiful back dart.
7. From the top of the back middle, measure ¼ of the waistline (excluding the back dart).
8. From the top of the middle line, measure down the lowest point of the hips.
Connect the lowest point of the hips with waistline marks at the top.
Find the middle in both new lines. From that middle, mark 1cm up.
Connect with a curved line.
9. From the top of middle front, mark 1cm down. From the side, mark 1cm up. Connect with curved line.
10. At the side of the back, mark 1cm up and connect with end of back dart.
And that's it, your pattern is finished!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you try it out - I would love to see your results, so please feel free to send me some photos on Instagram DMs!
Wishing you a great week ahead,